Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Administrator Array
    As I've said, the screen is rubbish and will be replaced with a better quality one soon. But as requested by a few people on other forums and youtube here's the link to the cheap screen I used.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/150715003190?...84.m1439.l2649

Specifications from auction:
    Screen size: 3.5"
    Resolution: 640 * 480
    Display format: 4:3
    Power: ?4W
    Power supply: DC 12V
    Video: 2 ways AV input reversing automatic display, AV signal automatic detection startup
    System: PAL/NTSC 2 systems auto switch
    Contrast: 350?1
    Working temperature: -20??50?
    Standby temperature: -30??40?
    Item weight: 132g
    Item size: 10.5 * 6.5 * 1.5cm
    Package size: 10 * 5.3 * 11.5cm
    Package weight: 174g

I really wouldn't recommend this screen for anything permanent really as the quality of the display just isnt great.

What screen do you have in mind for the final version?

Administrator Array
    Quote Originally Posted by camer0n View Post
    What screen do you have in mind for the final version?
    I've a few of these ordered from Deal Extreme. Same idea as the one I used to test but of a much higher quality. These screens are used in many mods you see around including the Sega Nomad screen mod and a lot of hand held conversions (portable Nintendo 64 and that type of thing).

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/3-5-lcd...pal-ntsc-20415

Administrator Array
    Extra shot of the screen in its rough and ready form:
    Click for full size image.

How difficult is it to use X in such a low resolution?

Administrator Array
    How difficult is it to use X in such a low resolution?
    It's manageable but you wouldn't want to be doing a lot of work on it. I'll be doing up some sort of interface that's more usable on such a small screen at some stage, unless someone else does it first or has it already.

Here's a vid I just did of some normal games running on the screen(GameCube). It's actually not bad at running these considering it only cost £10 sterling. Sound is low and a bit distorted as its coming from some small and cheap speaker in the Pi.

Administrator Array
    Did some modding and other work on the RasPiBoy this evening and I must say I'm very happy with how its coming along.

Couple of quick pics and some vids to follow later.
    Click for full size versions:

Edit:-
    1st vid:

Edit:-
    2nd vid:

Amazing work! I was wondering how you were going to do the screen. I am glad you kept the stock looks, and just changed the overscan.

You will have to wire up a tiny red LED to the front now, and sit it between the screen and the cover.

Administrator Array
    Amazing work! I was wondering how you were going to do the screen. I am glad you kept the stock looks, and just changed the overscan.

You will have to wire up a tiny red LED to the front now, and sit it between the screen and the cover.

Yeah, I was thinking about cutting the bezel and installing the screen so all of it was in full view. But the way I have it now is more in keeping with the spirit of this mod.

I'll sort out an LED towards the end of the mod, maybe have it do something other than just light up if I can. Not sure yet but just hooking it up would be easy.

It won't really work with the plastic protector over the LCD, but have you thought of getting a touch screen for it? Will the Overscan effect the positioning?