Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator Array

Game Boy PC (Raspberry Pi)

So I thought I'd start a thread for my new little project. I'm building a pc inside a Game Boy DMG-01 case(so it is retro related). It will be used for XBMC and emulators so I thought it might interest some of you guys here.

Anyway, I've decided to use the new Raspberry Pi system as its small but powerful enough for my needs and allows a lot of hacking and modding to the software and hardware side of things. This is going to be a Linux machine.

I've prepared the case already and kept all the original game boy parts nice and safe(this unit had a faulty screen but everything else was fine).

That small screen you see is a 2.5” 65K colour TFT LCD with a res of 320 x 240.
    It might or might not work with the Raspberry Pi but is around the right size should I decide to install a small screen in this thing. The Rasp Pi does support some mobile phone screens (Nokia N9 and N8 for example) so if this doesn't work I'll get one of them. The screen would be wired onto the board and not connected via the HDMI connection.

As the Raspberry Pi wont be on sale for another week or two this is all just prep work but I have all the dimensions of the board so can work out roughly the best way to put it in the GB.

More to come.........

Last edited by RetromanIE; 21-02-2019 at 21:00.

Administrator Array
    3D Models of the Game Boy and Rasp Pi.

Administrator Array
    Some high resolution pictures of the board.
    There may be some small design differences from this image and the actual final board.

Last edited by RetromanIE; 07-11-2019 at 20:44.

Member Array
    looks sweet

Moderator Array
    Now this is something I could really get behind. Would this raspberry pi thing fit inside a more modern gameboy? Like a Gameboy Color or even a GBA?

You planning on doing more than one of these?

Administrator Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    Now this is something I could really get behind. Would this raspberry pi thing fit inside a more modern gameboy? Like a Gameboy Color or even a GBA?

You planning on doing more than one of these?
    I'll see how it goes with this first case. I'll probably try to mod a few different cases for it but I'm mostly looking forward to the Game Boy mod.

I picked up a 7" LCD screen today that might also work with it(the DSI connector, not the HDMI) so I'll see what I can do with that.

Administrator Array
    Got a batch of tiny and medium size screen in today(2" up to 10") for some other PC mods I'm working on.
    Some of them are DSI compatible so might also work well with the Raspberry Pi(barring any driver issues of course).

Really need them to release this Pi so I can start testing

Member Array
    I'd buy one of these gameboy pc's.
    You thinking of making a few and selling them on retroman?

Administrator Array
    Quote Originally Posted by gwkels View Post
    I'd buy one of these gameboy pc's.
    You thinking of making a few and selling them on retroman?
    Lets see if I can get it working and looking decent before we go into mass production

Administrator Array
    Here's a revised video of the 3D model I'm using to plan everything(old model was 1.3mm to short in length and 1.3mm to wide for some reason).

Also, music is better in this one