Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Administrator Array
    Quote Originally Posted by camer0n View Post
    It won't really work with the plastic protector over the LCD, but have you thought of getting a touch screen for it? Will the Overscan effect the positioning?
    Not really thought about a touch screen for it. I think for this mod it's fine without it but If I decide to do a mod on a larger screen for the next mod I'll definitely consider using one.

Member Array
    Hello Retroman,

Great mod so far!
    I am trying to mod a GameBoy for my Pi too.
    I'll mainly use a 7" screen over HDMI but I want to build in a 3.5" screen like yours too.

What is the disassembled maximum thickness of the 3.5" display plus board ?
    Can you post a picture of the backside please ?

What is the minimum voltage where the display is still working correct ?

I would like to power it from a 2S Lipo (about 7.5 to 8.4 volts). Is that enough ?

Can you post your "config" file with the resolutions and framebuffers please ?

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by GamePi; 13-06-2012 at 14:19.

Administrator Array
    Quote Originally Posted by GamePi View Post
    Hello Retroman,

Great mod so far!
    I am trying to mod a GameBoy for my Pi too.
    I'll mainly use a 7" screen over HDMI but I want to build in a 3.5" screen like yours too.

What is the disassembled maximum thickness of the 3.5" display plus board ?
    Can you post a picture of the backside please ?

What is the minimum voltage where the display is still working correct ?

I would like to power it from a 2S Lipo (about 7.5 to 8.4 volts). Is that enough ?

Thank you very much.
    I've not measured the thickness of the screen and board but the screen itself is very thin but the board has some capacitors that get in the way a bit.

None of the internal placements are final yet as I'm still working on them so I wont be posting pics of that until its as I want it to be. At the moment it all fits inside the Game Boy and I can close the case but its not perfect and is very tight in some areas.

I've also not measured the power requirements yet. I'm running everything off the mains right now but I'll be looking at sorting out some battery power fairly soon.

Much more work to be done before I'll have a detailed guide on what I did.

How are you getting on with your mod?

Member Array
    Thank you.

I have just started yesterday with modifying the inside of the GameBoy.
    I will put my Pi on the top part of the case so it might be close with the screen coming on top of it.
    That's why I was asking. But I will order my 3.5" screen today.
    I am happy with the results of your "cheap" one.

I am planing on using an internal 2S LiPo pack to power the Pi and maybe the screen for mobile use.

Or if that's not enough power I will get a portable USB power bank.

I can post pictures with my setup when finished. But I think I will open up a new thread then ?
    I don't want to do it in your thread. It would confuse other readers I guess.

Administrator Array
    Thank you.

I have just started yesterday with modifying the inside of the GameBoy.
    I will put my Pi on the top part of the case so it might be close with the screen coming on top of it.
    That's why I was asking. But I will order my 3.5" screen today.
    I am happy with the results of your "cheap" one.

I am planing on using an internal 2S LiPo pack to power the Pi and maybe the screen for mobile use.

Or if that's not enough power I will get a portable USB power bank.

I can post pictures with my setup when finished. But I think I will open up a new thread then ?
    I don't want to do it in your thread. It would confuse other readers I guess.
    Yeah, create a new thread here and/or on the Raspberry Pi forum as people seem genuinely interested in these sorts of mods. I plan to do another Game Boy once this one is done and I've learned from all my mistakes

Member Array

Have you removed all the original existing screw mounting tabs on the inside of the case to fit the screen and PI in ?

How do you plan to stick the two halves together again for the final solution ?

Thank you very much.

Administrator Array

Have you removed all the original existing screw mounting tabs on the inside of the case to fit the screen and PI in ?

How do you plan to stick the two halves together again for the final solution ?

Thank you very much.
    I've removed 2 of screw mounting tabs to install the screen. I'm still thinking about the best way to stick the two parts together but thats not a major problem really and wont take long to figure out.

Here's the part the config file text. It wont really be perfect for your screen as you might install it inside the case and be off by a few mm. But it's probably going to be close enough to fix up quickly.

Code:
    overscan_left=60
    overscan_right=65
    overscan_top=35
    overscan_bottom=6

framebuffer_width=320
    framebuffer_height=240

arm_freq=800
    Careful with the "arm_freq" setting as thats what I use to overclock the Pi and you may not want to do that.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RetromanIE For This Useful Post:

8bit Diva (16-06-2012), dasimpson (26-11-2012), GamePi (18-06-2012)

Member Array
    This is really looking great
    I'll be keeping an eye on this and cant wait to see it when its done
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A diva is someone who pretends to know who she is and looks fabulous doing it.

Administrator Array
    Thanks Diva,
    When you're coming over to check out the Vectrex next week you can have a look at it if you like.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RetromanIE For This Useful Post:

8bit Diva (16-06-2012)

Member Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Retroman View Post
    Thanks Diva,
    When you're coming over to check out the Vectrex next week you can have a look at it if you like.

That would be cool
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A diva is someone who pretends to know who she is and looks fabulous doing it.