Views:	5425 
Size:	262.8 KB 
ID:	297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsc1063r.jpg 
Views:	4114 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	298

Lots to do, lots to do.

Last edited by RetromanIE; 25-03-2015 at 06:05.

Administrator Array
    She ain't purty but it'll do until I sort out the Game Boy. I created those lovely holes for the ports by stabbing like crazy with my SOG Seal Pup knife. Brilliant knife by the way if you can get your hands on one.

Name:  dsc1067s.jpg
Views: 4189
Size:  212.6 KB

Name:  dsc1068x.jpg
Views: 4198
Size:  209.1 KB

Edit:
    The box is anti static and was originally used to store old tapes that were/are used in server backups.

Last edited by RetromanIE; 25-03-2015 at 06:06.

Administrator Array
    The small wireless n card and 16GB USB drive that's going inside the Game Boy arrived today. Just as small as they looked on the site and wont take up much room inside the case(These will be on a mini powered USB hub I have that needs to be somehow mounted inside the case).

I've also started toying with the idea of using the composite video on the Pi to run a 3.5" screen instead of the DSI connection on the PI that nobody seems to know much about yet. This will involve some extra modding to fit the screen in where the original 2.6" screen went.

As always, more research required but it would certainly add to the whole case mod if I had a working screen in it.

Member Array

This project is brilliant!

Hello Retroman, first let me say...awesome forum, good job
    I think this project is brilliant and when I first studied on the RasPi it occurred to me that something like this is possible. Then I seen your model on youtube and I knew I too HAVE to try this. As a sys admin I can use such a device for countless applications. It can be an awesome tool that fits in the pocket! At the fraction of an equivalent PDA or similar device, PLUS its a GameBoy! Bringing back an old icon and putting it to work!

So I too will be having my hands on this idea and will be working toward a finished product. Unfortunately I have been unable to get gameboy yet. So you don't have to apologize for the number of pictures, LOL, they give me more of an idea of what to expect. Hopefully soon I will be ready to start publishing my notes and maybe we can bounce some ideas.

Again, great work!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gardlok For This Useful Post:

RetromanIE (18-04-2012)

Administrator Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardlok View Post
    Hello Retroman, first let me say...awesome forum, good job
    I think this project is brilliant and when I first studied on the RasPi it occurred to me that something like this is possible. Then I seen your model on youtube and I knew I too HAVE to try this. As a sys admin I can use such a device for countless applications. It can be an awesome tool that fits in the pocket! At the fraction of an equivalent PDA or similar device, PLUS its a GameBoy! Bringing back an old icon and putting it to work!

So I too will be having my hands on this idea and will be working toward a finished product. Unfortunately I have been unable to get gameboy yet. So you don't have to apologize for the number of pictures, LOL, they give me more of an idea of what to expect. Hopefully soon I will be ready to start publishing my notes and maybe we can bounce some ideas.

Again, great work!
    Thanks and welcome to the forum.

If you do decide to make something similar then we can definitely swap notes. You can learn from my mistakes and disasters

Administrator Array
    Just grabbed one of these to see if I can use it to map the Game Boy controls in the RasPiBoy over USB.

The plan would be to gut the thing and use it without a case of course. This little pad is made by the same crowd who do the iCade.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ION-New-GO-PA...item19c56179e1

Imagine it without the plastic shell and inside the RasPiBoy but using the original Game Boy buttons and DPad).

Administrator Array
    So I roughly molded some Sugru on the Pi last night to protect the GPIO pins as well as raise the board up slightly from whatever its sitting on. Sugru is non conductive by the way and very heat resistant.

The Sugru on the pins was molded on and then taken off to let it cure. If I'd left it on it'd be stuck pretty well to them and that's not what I want. The Sugru on the 4 corners was molded on and left to cure attached to the Pi as I want them to be a bit more secure until I put it in the case and can then just pull them off easily enough.

Its not art but it'll do the job for the moment :0)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsc1081o (Custom).jpg 
Views:	4099 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsc1083c (Custom).jpg 
Views:	4086 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	302

Name:	dsc1086gg (Custom).jpg 
Views:	4160 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	303

Last edited by RetromanIE; 25-03-2015 at 06:12.

hey im very interested in this, i might even do this for my electronics project next year as long as everything goes ok for you, id try at home but dont really have the right equipment

also this might be of interest

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Port-High-Sp...5094747&sr=8-3

judging by the picture, if you open the case it will be tiny, and it may be possible to fit it so the other 2 are still available, somehow lol

Administrator Array
    Quote Originally Posted by wozza365 View Post
    also this might be of interest

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Port-High-Sp...5094747&sr=8-3

judging by the picture, if you open the case it will be tiny, and it may be possible to fit it so the other 2 are still available, somehow lol
    Thanks wozza365,
    I've already picked up one similar to that and stripped the case from it. It works well but still takes up a bit more space than I'd like. It's more to do with its shape than its size so I've ordered a couple of small different shaped hubs to see if I can work them into the Game Boy a bit easier.

This is my current USB hub, you can see the wireless N stick I'm using on the far left and a very small 16GB drive beside it.

Name:	dsc1103k (Custom).jpg 
Views:	4256 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	304

Last edited by RetromanIE; 25-03-2015 at 06:14.