Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Raspberry pi gameboy

i recently got a raspberry pi and after many ideas for a case and none of them working.
    i come across retroman's thread on using an old gameboy as a case doner to the project and i thoght that is exactly what i have been looking for.
    a few problems i come across was getting a gameboy that would not cost me the earth ended winning one on ebay for £6.67 so not all that bad.
    my next problem was what do i do about a screen.
    well a quick look around the raspberry pi forum's lead me to the 3.5" reversing tft screens.
    these look ideal so i orderd one but with a higher resalution then the one shown.
    i did not think this would be a problem and that they be to much difference between the units.
    when i recived it i proceded to do the 5 volt mod.
    here was my 2nd problem the unit wont run on 5 volts i just get a white screen trust me to get the one that would be a pain.
    then laid in bed that night i had a eureka moment.
    i had used a dc-dc inverter awhile back for charging my mobile from 3.7v li-ion that could be ajusted from the input voltage upto 9 volts.
    but this would mean i would need 2 of them one for the rpi and one for the screen.
    then is accured to me that the screen has a built in voltage regulator and i could run the pi from that.

here is a photo of most the large parts so far to fit into the game boy.
    the battery pack is 4 x 5000mah 18650 for a total of 20000mah (20ah)
    i dont have the game boy just yet to show lacation of were the parts will be but they is some sanding and removing of parts on the rpi to be done as well as the lcd's pcb
    ill try to post more as i go along and keep you all updated
    Last edited by dasimpson; 26-11-2012 at 15:41.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dasimpson For This Useful Post:

RetromanIE (29-11-2012)

well i have done a little work today i have sanded the rpi a little so it will fit in the gameboy case the way i wont here is a photo of the work
    befor

this pic is not mine but from the rpi website i did not think to take a befor picture oops
    after

i could not get hold of a dremal or a tool like it so i used double sided tape to stick some sand paper onto a gear on the end of a motor see photo below

i will show the orientation as soon as the game boy arrives
    Last edited by dasimpson; 27-11-2012 at 17:41.

just when things start going well something always comes around to bite you on the ass.
    while shrinking the lcd pcb i have managed to kill it.
    another is on its way but this just sets things back alittle and another extra cost but i wont be counting this in the final totals for this project

i have made some more progress on the game boy case now i have it here are a few pics of work done and some layout

Last edited by dasimpson; 02-12-2012 at 00:01.

Administrator Array
    Looking good,
    Looks like Retrovia is becoming the home of Game Boy/Raspberry Pi mods

lol i had noticed that kind of a good thing we can all swap war stories lol

at the moment im just waiting on a replacment screen got i hate waiting but if you wont cheap china it is

well my mod has come to an end on connecting power to the gpio pins tonight i slipped up and cannected it on the wrong pins my raspberry pi has died reast in peace pi was good while it lasted

Administrator Array
    Quote Originally Posted by dasimpson View Post
    well my mod has come to an end on connecting power to the gpio pins tonight i slipped up and cannected it on the wrong pins my raspberry pi has died reast in peace pi was good while it lasted
    Leave the pi for a couple of days and try it again.
    it has been known to come back from things like this.

i sure hope so cont afford another at moment and due to be laid of on the 14th so going to have to be put on hold on good news the screen has arrived well kind of it is at the post office waiting for me to pick it up