Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    If you are still monitoring this thread, have you ever thought of making a quick list of the supplies you used to make this? Including tools, wires, screens batteries and everything. I've been planning on doing this for months now and it would be for my High School Senior Project which determines if i graduate or not.

I plan on going into computer science and i love this kind of stuff but i am not quite as good as most of the people on these forums. Its overwhelming seeing the video you posted earlier with all the wires and craziness.

The reason i ask for a list is so i can start ordering everything because i have to have this done by may 1st. If you would consider quickly jotting down what you used i would be the most grateful 17 year old in the world.

ill crack on with a list for you asap most my tools were made as I went along to do set jobs

these I know you will need
    dremel or some kind of hobby drill with cutting and grinding bits
    soldering iron
    cat5 cable or ide cables
    battery well an old laptop battery is good for this
    old keyboard unless you better an programming then me and can work gpio out
    infact drop me a pm ill give you my skaype and we can talk about it there if you like

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dasimpson For This Useful Post:

RetromanIE (30-03-2013)

this screen is a little more expensive then others but they is no need to cut the pcb only mod it to 5 volts all codes are ebey item numbers
    my battery system is 3.7 volt easyer to charge
    lcd
    charging unit
    li-ion protection circuit
    3v dc boost circuit
    for the li-ion i got old laptop battery after been ripped off for higher capacity ones on ebay

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dasimpson For This Useful Post:

RetromanIE (30-03-2013)

for cutting i used a motor ajustable eletrical block and a cutting disk and shaft from a dremel for sanding i stuck some sand paper onto an old plastic gear and stuck that onto the shaft they should be a picture of it and that is mainky the only tool i used other then a soldering iron and a multi meter

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dasimpson For This Useful Post:

RetromanIE (30-03-2013)

Thank you soo much for the list, my gameboy came in the mail yesterday so im going to start taking it apart and planning while i order the items on the list. Ill let you know how it goes thank you!

cool and good luck why don't you make a thread here for your build log and a place to ask for help

I could very well do that, my cousin will be helping me thankfully but ill have it started this weekend. I know we will run into things like how to wire the buttons and maybe some programming questions so a thread would be a good idea.

if you mean gpio wireing and program im at a loss that's why I used the keyboard controller

Damn none of those items you listed ship to the U.S! Oh well ill just have to look for similar ones haha.

EDIT: Also ive never used ebay before, it seems i can only bid on items? I dont really have time to bid and wait, and then have it shipped. So for the LCD screen did you take it apart or anything? Just curious because http://www.amazon.com/HDE%C2%AE-3-5-...3.5%22+TFT+LCD This one doesnt look like you can take off the plastic case to get just the screen like you can with the LCD screen you used.

Also for the batteries, How many do i need? Would http://www.amazon.com/UltraFire-3000...-ion+Cell+3.7V Work?
    It comes with two and a charger and i can buy another two if needed.

For the protection circuit/board charger there only seems to be one of this kind available, how many would i need and is this ok? http://www.amazon.com/7-2v7-4v-Lithi...+Board+Charger

Could you also explain to me what a li-ion is and how do i buy one. You said you got yours off an old laptop you had? I dont have a laptop i can take apart so what is it so i know what to buy? I'm getting flat cell phone looking batteries and AA looking batteries so im not sure which.
    Last edited by Devinw; 03-04-2013 at 20:23.

lcd you listed has 4 screws in the back I had to cut the pcb to make it fit not to hard to do when you know what your doing
    the ultrafire batterys you looked at are li-ion batterys the pcb protection circuit you only need one for parallel connected batterys I have one for ten 18650 batterys in parallel I then use a mobile booster circuit to take the 3.7 volt to 5 volt

to find the ports look at the numbers then take the name search ebay us for items of same name and click buyitnow I don't bid for things if I can help it

no http://www.amazon.com/7-2v7-4v-Lithi...+Board+Charger is no good as this is for 2 li-ions in series not parallel series connection ups the voltage but keep the amp hour rating the same parallel connection keeps the voltage the same but doubles the amp hour rating

2 batterys in series for 7.2 will run the screen your could then run wires from the 5 volt capacitor in the screen to the the raspberry pi to power it
    if you geet the ultrafire batterys they have built in protection circuits so you wont need another one you only need the protection circuit if the battery does not have it's own
    Last edited by dasimpson; 03-04-2013 at 21:53.