Administrator Array

The History of Stereoscopic 3D Gaming (Sega)

I came across this on my web travels.
    Wonder what the video and graphics qulaity was like.

Sega VR (1991)
    Sega, high on itself from the success of its Genesis console in the United States, didn't want to be left out during the golden age of virtual reality, so it started a project called Sega VR in 1991. When finally demonstrated in 1993, however, the prototype failed to excite the press. That tepid response, coupled with fears that the unit could damage children's eyes, ensured that Sega VR would stay shelved forever.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/220936/sega_vr_1991.html

I have heard the low frame rate would leave you nauseous. Would love to try it out! Still regret not picking up a Virtuality kit on ebay a few years ago. I probably would have had it working by now. God damn!

Administrator Array
    Quote Originally Posted by o1s1n View Post
    I have heard the low frame rate would leave you nauseous. Would love to try it out! Still regret not picking up a Virtuality kit on ebay a few years ago. I probably would have had it working by now. God damn!
    Yeah, VR stuff was just nasty back then and that was on high end rigs at arcades. I can only imagine what it looked like on this.

I remember the virtual reality arcade pods , I was working in the square in tallaght during the mid nineties and spent a fair amount of time faffing about with the one they had in the arcade there , they were the first gen ones so the VR effect was good but the graphics were a bit...lacking